September 4th, OPENING GALA:
Black Tie Optional * Private Outdoor Event
Dinner * Entertainment * Preview of Festival Booths
Auction to benefit the Les Turner ALS Foundation
For invitation please click here! To purchase tickets please click here!
September 5-6, FESTIVAL DAYS:
Festival booths open between 10am-9pm
Stage Performances at 12:00-2:30pm & 6:00-8:30pm daily
The 12th Annual Chicago Turkish Festival will kick off with an Opening Gala on Thursday evening, September 4th and continue on Friday, Sept. 5th and Saturday, Sept. 6th, 2014. For the first time since inception, last year this increasingly popular event was held at Pioneer Court, one of downtown Chicago's busiest landmark locations along the lively Magnificent Mile, right between the NBC and Tribune Towers and Chicago River, at 401 North Michigan Avenue.
The private, black tie optional, outdoor Opening Gala at Pioneer Court will be held between 7:00-10:00PM in the evening of September 4th. The proceeds from Silent and Live Auctions will benefit the Les Turner ALS Foundation and ALS research. Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), also known as Lou Gehrig’s disease or motor neuron disease (MND), is a progressive that causes muscle weakness, difficulty speaking and swallowing and generally, complete paralysis. There is no known cure and once diagnosed, patients typically live only three to five years. The Les Turner ALS Foundation, founded in 1977, is a local, independent ALS organization funding patient services, education and awareness and research at Northwestern Medicine.
A limited number of tickets for this event is available to purchase through this web site. For more information please click here. To RSVP before September 1st and to purchase tickets please click here.
The Festival will be open to general public free of charge from10:00AM to 9:00PM CST on both Friday, September 5th and Saturday, September 6th. It will feature demonstrations of art, dance, music and much more, where Chicagoans will get the opportunity to experience, learn and savor Turkish hospitality, culture, heritage and cuisine. Live performances will take place twice daily, at 12:00-2:30pm and 6:00-8:30pm at Pioneer Court stage.
Without leaving the comfort of Pioneer Court, guests will visit and enjoy various regions of Turkey together with the participants from Turkey and Turkish-Americans living in culturally diverse community of Chicago. Guests will be able to browse through and buy Turkish products, souvenirs, art and handicrafts, find travel information, participate in activities for children, view many authentic demonstrations and performances, sample Turkish cuisine, and much more...
Arriving at Pioneer Court, visitors will:
- Enter the Plaza through the doors of a traditional Safranbolu House and enjoy the Land of Civilizations Exhibit reflecting the history of Anatolia and the Turkish Republic;
- Walk through the captivating sights and sounds of our guest city Izmir (aka Smyrna) and the Aegean Region, home to the world-famous, spectacular ruins of Ephesus;
- Enjoy live midday and evening shows of marching Ottoman Military Band, memorable Turkish Folk Dance performances, Whirling Dervishes , traditional and modern Fashion Show of Turkish couture and textiles, and authentic Turkish classical and folk music concert;
- Watch the artistic demonstrations of paper marbling, calligraphy, illuminations, copper and ceramic art, carpet weaving, silver filigree, and more;
- Shop for handmade arts and crafts from Aegean region, Kutahya ceramics, Cappadocia ceramics and pottery, Turkish rugs, throws, bags, decorative pillows, glassware, traditional jewelry, handicrafts, and more;
- Enjoy the aromas and tastes of rich Ottoman Turkish cuisine, sample gourmet food, including Turkish style grilled kabobs, doner sandwiches, vegetable and meat dishes, desserts including baklava at restaurant booths; shop for Turkish delights, apricots, hazelnuts, figs at Best Turkish Food stand; taste Turkish beer at or EFES Beer Garden , and much more;
- Taste other popular Turkish culinary delights such as Turkish style bagel (simit); have a slice of world-famous MADO's unique Kahraman Maras orchid ice cream which once again we expect to serve hundreds of gallons; or sip a cup of Kurukahveci Mehmet Efendi's Turkish coffee of which thousands are served throughout the Festival;
- Let your kids enjoy all sorts of activities from the Turkish shadow theater, face painting and games as well as find out about Turkish Classes at TACA booth.
The event will be broadcast on a number of US and Turkish channels, introducing Turkey and its culture to millions of American viewers.
To find out more about the festival planning please click here (for Turkish version click here)